Steps And Procedures
1. Online Application
Visit the“Apply Now” section and register as an applicant to receive a unique application number.
- Log in and complete the online application by providing the requested information
Upload electronic copies of the following documents or send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Final high school certificate or reports of the last two school years
- Bachelor degree and transcript (required only for Master applicants)
- ID / passport
- Birth certificate
- English translation of the above documents if originally not in English or German
- After submitting the online application, you will receive a confirmation email.
2. GIU Admission Test
- Applicants will receive an invitation to schedule an appointment for the GIU admission test on campus
- Upon booking your appointment, you will receive a confirmation for the date and time of your test session, along with instructions for test fee payment(80 Euros)
On the set date you will sit for
- Reasoning Test: Assessing verbal comprehension and relationships, induction, facts and results, deduction and discovery (duration: 50 minutes; computerized)
- English Language Test: Testing the applicant’s ability to comprehend reading and listening and use the language of instruction on university level (duration: 45 minutes; computerized)
- Meeting the university staff for a short interview and completing some admin steps (e.g. document verification)
- Applicants who do not pass the tests have the chance to retake each test only one more time for free.
Instead of taking the GIU English language test you may alternatively submit:
- Recent TOEFL score (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum accepted scores are 86 points (Internet-based test) / 560 points (paper-based test).
- Recent IELTS scores (International English Language Testing System): minimum accepted score is 6.5.
Applicants with lower scores may be accepted upon overall evaluation of student’s file.
For students applying for the Design Program only:
Applicants will receive an email from the Admission Office to continue with the next step in the admission process, which will be the submission of the portfolio and the on-campus aptitude test and interview.
Students are kindly requested to choose a session and stick carefully to the instructions and requirements written in the “Portfolio submission and Aptitude Test invitation” email. Students will not be allowed to enter the exam without submission of the portfolio of artistic work according to the requirements written in the email.
The aptitude test as well as the interview at GIU will be supervised by GIU staff. Applicants going through the on-campus aptitude test will also be requested to do a one-on-one interview with an appointed committee member to discuss the applicant’s work and mutual expectations from the future study plans.
3. Final Application Evaluation and Admission Decision
Students who submitted all required documents and passed the admission tests will receive a Final Admission Decision or Study Offer. In case of missing documents, applicants will receive an email with the missing credentials, which may lead to a delay in your admission status.
Students who will receive their Final Study / Acceptance Offer will be asked to proceed with the next step in the admission process.
4. Payment and Final Admission
The final steps before your classes begin are:
- Accepted applicants will receive a Final Study Offer for the selected study program, with a deadline to make the down payment and to submit certified copies of their certificates.
- Payment of tuition: Down payment is required to secure enrollment. Students can select between the 3 payment options as stated in the tuition fees.
- Apply for visa (if needed): non-EU students may request an “Invitation Letter” upon final acceptance into a specific program
- Once enrolled, you will receive your student ID, email account and course schedule
- Attend the orientation session before the start of the semester
We urge all non-EU students to apply as early as possible to allow enough time for visa processing and to always keep us informed regarding your visa application status. Please note that the GIU team is not to be held responsible for the successful and timely issuance of your visa